In 2013, Google commissioned Ipsos to conduct a study on their click-to-call buttons that appear directly in search results on mobile devices. Over a 1 week period, the study examined 3000 respondents who had all made at least one purchase from 1 of 7 verticals, in the past 6 months (Travel, Restaurant, Finance, Retail, Technology, Local Services and Auto).
While there are many types of click to call button, including our own Agendize, website based version, in this post we’re going to focus on the importance of generating phone calls via click to call in general. For those who don’t have enough time to read, we summarized it with an infographic at the end of the article.
1. What is the value of a phone call in this digital era?
The first key statistic is that 61% found click-to-call “Extremely/Very Important” in the “Purchase” phase of decision making. In other words, when customers want to seal the deal, a phone call is extremely important and lacking a simple method to contact your business could diminish your chances of making a sale. 39% said they “Always” or “Frequently” call a business when specifically looking to make a purchase or transaction which again emphasizes the value of providing a click to call button.
2. Can click to call really change customer’s perception of a business?
Another interesting concept the research examined was business perception. The research found that lacking a click to call button in the search results could actually be damaging to a customer’s perception of the business.
- 47% described feeling “frustrated or annoyed” or “more likely to explore other brands” when they were unable to directly call the business.
- When another 35% felt “disappointed in the brand or company” its clear that click-to-call is a feature that customers have come to expect a company to provide them with.
3. Big Question: What motivates a customer to call a business in the first place?
If we take a quick look at why a customer would be motivated to make a call vs. checking a company website or other means, respondents felt calls were most effective for:
- Quickly getting an answer/accomplishing a goal (59%)
- Talking to a real person (57%)
- Asking more questions/getting more information than was available on the company website (54%)
This data emphasizes the huge advantage that generating phone calls through your online presence can have for a business. With a click-to-call button, placing a call is made effortless so customers can get a personal, direct and in-depth sales experience that can convert sales while also building a better relationship with your business.
4. What goals do customers want to achieve through phone calls?
In terms of goals for every phone call, most respondents were looking to:
- Check for business hours (52%)
- Schedule an appointment/make a reservation (51%)
- Inquire about inventory/availability/booking information (47%)
- Inquire about pricing (43%)
Of these major reasons for placing a call, checking business hours was key for Retail, Restaurants, Auto and Tech, while appointment scheduling/reservations were the most important activities for Finance, Travel and Local. For your business in each of these verticals, keep in mind what customers are likely hoping to achieve through their phone calls and then it is possible to develop a strategy to maximize efficiency and effectiveness through click to call.
5. What’s all this trying to tell me?
Through Google & Ipsos’ study, it is possible to see the value both of generating phone calls and the advantage a click to call button provides. While the focus of the study is Google’s click to call buttons which appear directly in mobile search results, click-to-call buttons like the one Agendize provides are able to capture the non-mobile segment of online consumers. With an Agendize click to call widget integrated into your business’ website it possible to use the same sort of tactics that has made the Google call buttons so effective.
Click to Call buttons help to:
> Generate better selling opportunities for consumers in the “purchase” phase of decision making
> Improve customer perception of your business
> Quickly provide answers or help customers accomplish their goals
> Generate calls for better customer service with a real person
> Provide more information than can be made available online
> Make it easy to accomplish the major reasons for calling a business such as booking appointments/reservations or checking business hours